Thursday, March 5, 2009

What's in a name?

What's in a name?  I think alot.  My daughter just told me she changed her facebook name to Jenn Kelso instead of Jennifer Kelso.  I told her I had noticed.  I asked her why?  Her response was that noone really calls her Jennifer.  Then she added, well, except me, except sometimes Luke, sometimes Whitney, ....
So actually people do use her name.  It's a pretty name.  A name that was given alot of thought.  We had originally named her Jennifer so that we could call her Jenny, but then when we saw her we just couldn't do it.  She was Jennifer.  Our beautiful baby girl, Jennifer Kathleen.  Oh, don't get me wrong, we do call her Jenn.  But just never had her identified like that on facebook or whatever.

Our other daughter is Elizabeth.  It was always Elizabeth. or even Eliz, but never, never Liz or Lizzie.  Well, not anymore.  For some reason she's just Liz.  How odd that we let that happen.  She too has a beautiful name...Elizabeth Kristine.  

But I guess it doesn't change who they are, it doesn't change our love for them.  I guess they are still our beautiful baby girls whether they shorten their names or not.
So what is in a name?  Whether it's Jenn or Liz  ...it's still them.  The fun loving christian girls the Lord gave us,  God's special gifts to us.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

I like this blog. It makes you wonder & think about your own name. I was alway's Jeni, even though dad named me Jennifer. As you get older you want a change that goes with your energy at that time. I became Jennifer with Chad & that's how he introduced me to his family & friends. Now days, I've ben Jen. When people ask me what i prefer, I say any of them. I have a couple friends that call me JenJen. I don't care, as long as they call me :)
How bout you Suez?
Love you, Jeni, Jen, Jennifer, JenJen